Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dr. Bane strikes again.

A few questions for my dear readers:
  1. Suppose you were incontinent of feces at a professional venue. Would you tell anyone about your unfortunate accident or would you keep it to yourself?
  2. If you decided you had to tell someone, would you tell one person you knew well or a group of people you had never met before?
  3. Would you whisper it sotto voce or declare it loudly in the lobby of a ritzy Washington hotel?
  4. Would you show people the evidence so they would know you were telling the truth or do you think your confidants would believe you without seeing a ginormous pair of poopy man-panties?
  5. Do you carry around ziplock bags in case you are incontinent of feces?

18 comments:

Bertha said...

*boggle*

I hope someday someone catches Dr. Bane on film. Through the miracle of YouTube the entire world could enjoy his antics.

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha. You hang around with some great people.

Anonymous said...

Office-mate tells ME two weeks after the fact. At the time,she said nothing to the group of strangers at the venue. She went home; straight to the shower. She undressed under the spray. She carries no plastic bags. Oook.

Anonymous said...

Behavior like that can be indicative of a substance abuse problem, dementia, other mental illness, or brain pathology. Such a person should see his/her physician for a full work-up.

BallisticMeg said...

At first I thought this was an actual survey... I even had an answer for the first question before I realized the anecdotal insanity.

I probably shouldn't have then laughed, since Dr. Bane seems rather old and out of it. But I did. Underpants stories do that to me. As does "incontinent of feces," apparently.

Luis said...

Oy. What Dr. Pablito sez. Sounds dementia-ish to me, probably because I think of Dr. Bane as elderly. If not, I would think impulse-control problems or even some kind of psychotic thingy.

Poor guy, really.

Angry Professor said...

Dr. Bane is in his 60s, I believe. He has always been this way. I suspect he is a narcissist, or BPD. I don't want to talk to him for the amount of time it would require to distinguish the two diagnoses.

Anonymous said...

I am just _so_ sorry for the other people in your organization, and for the patrons of that nice hotel.

Ewwwww.

Not Important said...

It so totally makes me happy to conflate your Dr. Bane with my Doctor Bane.

I hope you had a good time at (presumably) the conference otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it's good news then that his pants didn't fall down like last time. Still laughing about that one.

pelican said...

Don't rule out frontotemporal dementia, unless the fecal incontinence is also lifelong. He's of the age for it, and people with personality disorders dement too.

I would wonder if perhaps the chair of Dr. Bane's department at his home institution (or perhaps a dean?) could force him to undergo a medical exam, if word of Dr. Bane's conference shenanigans reached him or her?

woolywoman said...

ergh. He needs to be conserved.

Christina said...

Wow, that is a co-worker story if I ever heard one!

Liz Ditz said...

I've enjoyed the Dr. Bane stories, but the public discussion of one's own fecal incontinence is a big step up from crashing board meetings and holding forth on the centrality of self.

I think Pelican is onto something: a senior member of your society (perhaps you, if you are still the president) should communicate with the chair of Dr. Bane's department, or possibly the dean, and suggest that Dr. Bane may be a danger to himself.

Anonymous said...

Oh no. Oh my. Agree with previous posters suggesting that maybe it's time for intervention.

Miss Kitty said...

You're kidding, right? This guy's made-up, right? From your forthcoming novel?

And I thought literature conferences had a lot of weirdos...

dale-harriet said...

Could it be (as I have no previous knowledge of Dr Bane) that he might, in fact, be under the age of three and a genuine prodigy? People do take some time to learn body management, and the lads longer than the maids, as they say.

Isis the Scientist said...

This is genius. I would pay a million, bajillion dollars to meet Dr. Bane