Thursday, July 31, 2008

He can make monkeys fly out of his butt, too.

A friend directed my poorly-controlled attention to this press release, headlined:

Dallas Psychiatrist's Paranormal Abilities to Be Tested by Noted Debunker James Randi


Dr. Colin Ross Can Send a Beam of Energy From His Eyes; Aims for $1 Million Prize

5 comments:

Bardiac said...

OOoo, his special super power is about to be tested!

(Of course, in the early modern era, they thought we sent out eye beams to see. Maybe he's been confused by reading history?)

Joeymom said...

I hope he wins. I think being able to learn to shoot lasers from your eyeballs would be super-cool.

Anonymous said...

Yeah.

I call mine the Super Stare Of Death.

Still haven't figured out how come it doesn't kill people right here and now, though. It ought to.

Anonymous said...

What I don't get is "where's the catch?"

* Does the puported doctor really believe energy rays come out of his eyes? After completing medical school, is he unable to devise an experiment in his kitchen do disprove his claims?

* Does he think the publicity of the attempt will overhwhelm the publicity of his failure? Will he be able to explain his failure to the faithful as "lack of concentration," or "bad vibes" from the Randi observers?

* Should anyone with either of the above two beliefs be permitted to practice psychiatry?

dale-harriet said...

I didn't know there was money at stake! My three children (adult now) all attribute their exemplary behavior in public as very young children to "The Look", which they declare stopped bad behavior...not only before it began but in fact *the very moment they considered it*! If they can prove that the object of my gaze is considering pinching his sister, *I* can prove the reality of "The Look". (I don't believe it's unique to me, though; I think the ability comes with special hormones during childbirth.)