Thursday, September 08, 2005

Countdown.

I have 10 days to get all my revise/resubmits done and then I have to appear in a classroom again. Of course I won't get them done, because I have course prep to do too. And I just learned that 120+ butts are currently registered in my class and the room holds... (dramatic pause/drum roll) ...90 butts. Now this should make for interesting exam days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vito has A LOT to learn about academia. First, we don't "give" grades...students EARN grades. Second, there are usually options beyond the obvious. Another room perhaps? Spilt the section by adding another instructor? Inforcing pre-reqs and requesting those not prepared to drop. And last but unfortunately the first step most faculty take, whine to the Dept Head to fix the problem! ;-)

iBeth said...

I am glad that the butt problem surfaces at other universities besides my own. Where I teach, the solution would be--give the exams online! :) Actually, an email to the room scheduler would get some help, too.

Angry Professor said...

Wolfangel, what did that rule accomplish? Were students actually excused from exams? Or did they have to take them at some other location?

I ask because I can't imagine how such a rule could force the Classroom Management office to be more responsible. LSU faculty fight with them all the time about these ridiculous situations to no avail. They don't care about the enrollment, so I don't see how we can force them to care about the course requirements either.

Angry Professor said...

No, not mine to fix. If things don't change, I will instruct my students to complain. That's my standard recourse.

It is a good sign that 120 are enrolled. I get lots of extra credit for that, although not the kind of credit that leads to lower teaching loads.

Three R&Rs and two virgin papers to go in. It sounds impressive but it means I'm hopelessly behind.