Thursday, September 01, 2005

What would you do?

I cried when I read this story. Then I asked myself, what would I do in the same circumstances?

Would I loot a grocery store to get food for my family? Yes.

Would I loot a store to get new things like DVD players or microwave ovens? No.

Would I pick up a gun to protect my family from looters? Yes.

Would I pick up a gun to get food for my family? Maybe.

Would I pick up a gun to take food away from someone who needed it as much as my family did? No.

Would I try to take someone else's place on an evacuation vehicle? No.

Would I put my daughter in someone else's place on an evacuation vehicle? Yes.

Would I have put my family in this situation by staying in New Orleans when I had a chance to get them out? No. But, I am, compared to most of those souls trapped in the Superdome, unimaginably wealthy. My family would have had options that few of them had.

2 comments:

L said...

I still can't get over the scenes from the aftermath... just horrible

Professor Zero said...

Are you from down here??? I know you're anonymous and can't answer, but I just had to ask. That WWOZ sticker and the "Ellesyouville" town name are suspicious!