Tuesday, November 13, 2007

In which I receive email in hell.

From: Bray N. Dedd
To: Angry Professor
Subject: Quiz

I noticed that on the syllabus, there is suppose to be a quiz tomorrow, but I did not think that anything was mentioned in class, so I was curious to see if we did have a quiz and what the material might be. Thank you.

Bray

8 comments:

Not Important said...

What did students do to show their stupidity in the days before e-mail was ubiquitous? As near as I can tell from your posts, those students don't attend class, nor do they come to your office during office hours.

Miss Kitty said...

Nor can they understand that what is on the syllabus IS LAW. Sheesh.

Schlupp said...

Compared to Bray, Ann is a perfect dear. You should have appreciated her more!

Anonymous said...

I love Bray's choice of wording. He "noticed" that there was suppose (sic) to be a quiz tomorrow. Like, I "noticed" a spot on my tie, or, I "noticed" that it was half-past three.

All a bit too casual for me. Luckily for Bray, he "noticed" this the day before the quiz, and not the day after! So, everything should be hunky-dory, right?

CrankyProf said...

Does Hell have dial-up, or DSL? (Either way, it's probably provided by ComCast.)

Did Bray show up for the quiz?

Anonymous said...

This week my co-teacher received a message from a student who had 'just discovered' that he was supposed to complete the online quiz before Sunday (we kept it open for a week) and couldn't access it from NYC where he had gone for a funeral.

*Sigh*

1. I have tested this out: the online quiz is available even if one is not in the country.

2. 'Just learned'? Clearly this means that the syllabus eluded him, as did my announcements in each of the lectures, and as did my reminders on the lecture notes I post for the students who don't bother to show up.

3. I checked into Facebook. 'Just learned' referred to a wall post from a friend who reminded the student that while he was having all the fun on his spur of the moment trip home, he shouldn't forget to take the quiz. The wall post was made on the day the quiz would shut down.

4. The kid used a bereavement as an excuse. I swear, I wish here was a swift and angry angel of karmic justice who would take vengeance on all these students using funerals and family deaths as excuses. These kids suck beyond all others.

Of course, maybe he went back for a funeral, and that my understanding of the 'romantic getaway' and additional invites to raves and parties whilst in NYC, were all Generation Shite's way of expressing condolences.

KNC said...

As a TA, I get a lot of those emails from hell written by students who don't like to email their professor and feel more comfortable with a fellow student.

Unfortunately for them, I am more vicious because I feel no pity.

PS. Just stumbled on to this blog; hooray for social science statistics! (I'm one of those weird few who enjoy interpreting stats)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, noticed .... I just got one from a student who noticed she didn't do any of the 5 assignments this term and wanted to know if she could turn them all in late without penalty.