Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kiss my ass, Sweetheart.

To: Angry Professor
From: Lukin Ferna Scape
Re: First midterm

Dear Dr. Professor,

I didn't say a word about this to you before now, but I have surgery scheduled Monday morning when we are having the midterm. I will get documentation for this, but I need to know when my makeup exam will be. Also, will the makeup be harder than the midterm? If it is, I can maybe reschedule my surgery.

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Lukin

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course the makeup would be harder. Isn't that the rule?

Oh, and you don't really need him to provide documentation. Just tell him you'll need his doctor's name and the name of the hospital. ;-)

Aidan said...

Oh no they dint!

Anonymous said...

this is ironic. i happen have a similar experience and i just told the student midterm and makeup is mostly likely the same but very different. you may choose either or both if you like.

Dan said...

Dear Lukin,

It will only be harder if you cannot reschedule!

Anonymous said...

How about "the day before"?

RuTemple said...

Let me guess. The surgery is a tattoo appointment.

Anonymous said...

I think I wrote this before. This is what bureaucracy is good for.

Dear Lukin,

in case you miss the midterm exam local uni regulations require that you provide form 23/4. The Education Board of Hillbilly City/Alaska further requires a duplicate of 23/4 and statements P32, D98 and D34, to be signed by you or your doctor, respectively. The housing management requires confirmation that your medical condition is non-epidemic (three copies), and might conduct a full cavity search on your return to your dorm.

Our department, as part of the No Student Left Alone / Anti-violence program mandates a total of eight hours of counseling. This is mandatory for all students who have experienced a trauma, this includes surgery. Re-access to department facilities will only be granted after that.

Further, the chair's health statistics and quality of education management program requires to provide the information as set forth in the programs mission statement, in electronic form, before undergoing surgery, and another set of information after surgery.

Let me be the first to wish you a speedy recovery.

Finest Regards,

AP

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like the student scheduled the surgery to get out of the exam. Explain to her that she needs to take it early to make it up.

Anonymous said...

I had a professor once whose policy on make-up exams was thus: "yes, as long as you arrange it PRIOR to the scheduled exam. Additionally, the make-up exam will be oral, open audience, and videotaped." Only one person in 8+ years of teaching has taken a make-up from this instructor.

Carina said...

If she's wondering if she should reschedule the surgery, then why did she even e-mail you? The answer's obviously yes, since it's obviously not that serious of a surgery. Serious ones are rarely rescheduled.

I wonder what would've happened if I'd had my kidney tumor in college and was given just a week to get ready for the surgery . . .

Anonymous said...

Is it at all possible that the scheduled surgery is a lobotomy?

dale-harriet said...

Dear Lukin,
You must appear for the exam. We have arranged the use of the cloak room for your doctor's convenience and have contacted him (her?) to arrange for a local anesthetic; your exam will be given orally. The university has kindly supplied the class with paper masks and your doctor will be given some Lysol wipes to use on the lunchtable prior to your stretching out on it. We regret that he (she?) will be allowed only one assistant, as we must maintain fire codes.

Following your completion of the exam you may leave the room and if the surgery is not yet complete, you will be transported (with the doctor, of course) by station wagon to the hospital (if deemed advisable by the doctor) or home, for the completion of the procedure. I recommend that you spend the time up to the exam/surgery studying, as I am told any exam seems "harder" when it is administered orally, during a surgical procedure performed under local anesthetic. If you have any question, my office hours are 9:00 am to 9:04 am Thursday.

Professor MacSkeptical

Bacopa said...

I've TA'd and taught a few classes in symbolic logic, and if I complete my thesis this summer I'll have a gig at a local community college. My usual policy on makeup tests is that they are the original test disguised. I change the letters of propositional constants and mix up the order of the premises. If they really knew something rather than memorizing stuff from the regular quiz, they'll blast through it easily.

I also include a symbolization that requires a creative approach. In symbolic logic there are no exact right or wrong answers, though there are objective criteria for seperating right from wrong answers.

Thw makeup quiz is the original quiz mildly disguised, plus one one symbolization that requires creativity and insight.

Miss Kitty said...

I agree with Cranky: a lobotomy is what's called for here. Good GAWD.

And my confirmation word is "odults." I guess that's what our stduents are: odults. Certainly not a-dults.