Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Why not toenail clippers, too?

I am proud to report that the Angry Baker and I spent less than $700 on our wedding, including the rings and my dress. Our rings are plain 22K gold bands purchased in the local Indian market. (They have a lovely rich color and, after all these years, a nice scratchy patina.) We catered a large party in our home, and the only thing we really splurged on were the cheeses. We had no wedding cake, but instead got an assortment of small cakes from the local Italian bakery.

We neglected to inform the friends and family invited to our nuptial celebration that we had in fact, after years of cohabiting, actually tied the knot. Hence, the only gifts that people brought were bottles of wine or six-packs of beer. We didn't have millions of thank-you notes to write for gifts we didn't want in the first place, and we didn't put our many friends still in graduate school under any obligation to spend money that they didn't have.


A good time was had by all, except the cats. They had to be shut up in the bathroom all day, after my mother-in-law caught them sampling the cheeses.

The Angry Baker and I still look back on that day with great nostalgia, and both of us can say without hesitation that it was one of the best days of our lives together. We have no regrets about how we chose to marry or celebrate our marriage. We also like to think that our friends and family remember it as one of the more joyous and honest wedding receptions they have attended.

So we were both stymied by an invitation to a cousin's wedding shower we received in the mail yesterday. Included with the shower invitation was a list of over half a dozen stores where the happy couple has registered their gift wishes. Their registry listings are endless. It must have taken them months to pick out all these items. They range from the usual, like specific dinner service pieces in specific patterns or towels in a particular color, to the bizarre and inappropriate. For example (I'm not making this up): a nose-hair trimmer.

My cousin's peculiar lack of decorum does not make us look happily forward to her celebration. Can the couple not see that asking for a nose-hair trimmer trivializes what should be one of the most important days in their lives? Or, if you want to get really pragmatic about it, how do they expect to word the thank-you note? "Dear Aunt Polly, Thank you so much for the nose-hair trimmer. Justin has always wanted a comfortable and efficient way to tame those tickly bastards, and it really does the trick. As we continue our lives together, throughout the years, we will always remember you and our special day whenever we use it."

We don't go to weddings any more. We were never very fond of the spectacle* in the first place, and even back in our day the naked greed was often palpable. However, we had planned to go to this one. Now we're thinking we should just stay home. We have other cousins, nieces and nephews who will probably marry some day.


*There was a brief period back in the '80s when going to weddings was a bit like watching stand-up comedy: that era when the happy couples believed that writing their own vows was ever so much more deeply meaningful than using a traditional program. One exchange of vows I witnessed had the groom praising his bride for her prowess in bed. Another had the participants (both eager graduate students at the time) describing how their union was going to make them much better teachers.** Thankfully, the not-yet-married who were forced to endure these awkward sentiments and painfully embarrassing revelations managed to reverse this disturbing trend.

**That marriage lasted less than 8 months. The couple who focused their vows on the bedroom instead of the classroom are still married. Hmm...

14 comments:

CrankyProf said...

Your reception sounds wonderful, and i bet everyone (including the cats -- hey, they got to eat fancy cheese, and horrify someone with their behavior) had a great time.

I have to admit that I regularly blow off registries, and go hunting for something unique. (Depending on how I feel about the couple, "unique" can mean, "really cool thing that they wouldn't have thought of," or "hideously tacky, that they have to keep or risk offending Aunt Cranky.")

I can honestly say I've never seen someone register for a noe-hair trimmer, though. What's next, gift certs from Bog Bob's Booby-trap and Go-Go-Atorium?

Thank all gods that ever were that people writing their own vows is out of fashion again. I've nevr heard so many cheeseball analogies tossed off in my life.

Anonymous said...

Well said. It's funny, when we were planning our day, I thought it was a bit risky; like we'd regret it someday for not making it a spectacle but after 10 years, I wouldn't change a thing.

But, remember we did attend one other good wedding in the South of France where the entire family genuinely participated in every aspect of the wedding. That was equally cool.

-AB

Angry Professor said...

You're right, AB. I had forgotten Marie's wedding. But that wedding, too, had no gifts and was all about cheese.

William the Coroner said...

Evidently, the average cost of a wedding in 2006 is $25,000. I know of two fathers of the bride who offered their offspring a car instead of a wedding. It seems that conspicuous consumption and the concept of potlach is still with us, even if we aren't northwest coast indians.

I realize that as a male, my job at any wedding ceremony I participate in is to stay sober and hold a pulse. I think the best wedding I attended was the pagan ceremony in Dodgeville, WI, with a potluck vegitarian buffet, morris dancers, and a Klezmer band "Yid Vicious"

Anonymous said...

No, no, I can top that - my cousin and her now-husband registered for Breathe-right strips. Trivialize it is right.

The whole idea behind spending lots of money on wedding gifts is that we're maintaining the polite fiction that the couple has no material possessions and its the communities responsibility to give them a start; I am willing to suspend my disbelief in most cases, even when it's a 35-year-old couple who wants a new KitchenAid $300 mixer to replace their old one which doesn't go with their new granite counter-tops. Fine. But when people start turning registries into ways to save themselves a trip to the drugstore, they're not even trying. And so why should I?

It's so great you have the courage to not attend weddings. We're working on it.

Anonymous said...

We didn't have a gift registry, and, to my surprise, got a fair amount of criticism for that. My mother-in-law, in particular, and several others as well thought the lack of a registry would be understood as a request for money instead!! We gave all our nearest and dearest instructions to tell anyone who asked not to bring presents, or else to say that what we really wanted were photos of us and them from way back, but *nobody* took us seriously. Although some people sent along a photo or two, everyone, without exception, brought or sent a present. I think it's so rooted in our current culture that there's not much to be done. Actually, there's quite a bit of sentimental value in the tradition though -- some of the presents are so like the people who gave them to us, that we actually will think of them often.

ps I've been reading your blog for some time, and really enjoy it -- thanks.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just had a similar experience. A friend of mine had a shower and registered for nothing that cost less than $100, much of it ugly wedding crap like glass bowls. I'm a grad student, so I made her a CD. The shower was held in a Chinese restaurant that was all but inaccessible to public transit--which, in the New York metro area, is quite a feat. My friends and I were forced to take a car service, which was $60 each way. I'm queer, so I might be predisposed to hate this kind of thing, but watching my friend sit there and open gift after gift really burned (especially after that gross, cheap Chinese food). And I'm supposed to get a wedding gift too?

Angry Professor said...

Wow, breathe-rite strips. Maybe I should stop complaining.

Can I complain about the toilet brush? Or this thing?

Anonymous said...

Here (Europe), it has become quite usual for people to ask for money as wedding gifts. My cousin did so, ostensibly for travel, but you can't trust my family in that respect: I think they will invest the money in stocks.

Shelly said...

I love the story of your wedding and reception! My husband and I just tied the knot after cohabitating for 5 years. It was a very small, family-only affair. My dad performed the service (he's a Methodist minister) and afterwords, we had a big cookout and everyone just hung out and talked. No gifts were allowed, which was mostly followed. It was a beautiful day, and meant far more to me than a huge church wedding with tons of presents ever could.

Miss Kitty said...

Great post, AP! I agree with all on the inexpensive wedding--it's better for all parties involved, and it lets the couple concentrate on making the relationship work instead of getting a bunch of useless stuff.

I got married while in grad school, and my family shelled out $11,000 on my wedding. (Wedding costs are lower in my small Georgia town, so it fell far below the national average.) I was marrying a falling-down professional drunk, it turned out, and the marriage lasted 30 months. Thank heavens. Had I only asked the fam to invest that cash...[sigh]

I've been divorced for seven years and haven't looked back, except for when I stumble on a kitchen item I got as a wedding gift. Then I'm reminded of my folly. Many of these silly gifts I gave away to friends or charity, especially the decorative birdhouse and the Austrian lead-crystal soap dish. If there's a next time for me, it'll be along the lines of your and AB's wedding: intimate, thoughtful, non-materialistic, and inexpensive.

Professor Zero said...

I've received a lot of wedding invitations with NO GIFTS PLEASE printed on them. This backfired because people bought gifts anyway. One solution I've seen is a registry at Target, for normal-type items at normal prices; it was explained that this had been done for those who simply couldn't resist buying something.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

A reasonable registry isn't a bad idea -- it gives people who don't know the personal tastes of the couple a guide and it insures that they don't get a toaster when they don't need one --

I worked a couple of seasons at Daytons, at the time it was the parent company of Target -- When Daytons would buy startk white in a product, Target would buy off-white and often charge less. I made many a materalistic brid/mother of bride combo mad when I told them to take their gift back to Target...

Anonymous said...

Why not just skip the wedding, but buy every inappropriate item and send it to them? including the nose hair trimmers. Maybe when they write the thank-you note, they will get wind that they are being made fun of for being idiots. But hey, they asked for it.