For two days a painter has been sleeping in our departmental waiting area. He carries an LSU ID, wears an LSU uniform, and sleeps. Yesterday he slept from 8:30 to 2:30. Today he showed up again at 8:30. (You have to admire his punctuality.)
We started taking pictures with our cell phones, and my administrative assistant called the Secretary of Painters. The Secretary of Painters hurried over, took his own picture with his own cell phone, whacked him with something, and left him there.
The guy must have had one of those "oh, fuck," moments. He sat there for a second or two, then ran out after the Secretary.
We called the Secretary to find out what had happened. We couldn't prove he'd been there yesterday, he said, and we couldn't prove he'd been resting over and above his allotted 15 minute break. (Wrong, and wrong. How many eye-witnesses does it take? With time-stamped photographs?) Has he done this before? Yes. Is he going to be fired? Probably not.
Update: He was fired. Ha! That takes care of yesterday.
Friday, January 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Well, if you actually managed to take pictures of him, I guess he couldn't have been a vampainter.
Wow, must be nice able to take a 6 hour nap during the work day!
In my lab up on the 3rd floor of your LSU Building of Knowledge™, at least 2 times a week if not more I'd show up to my office and a janitor was asleep on my couch. He was a nice guy that made sure our lab was really clean so we didn't bust his chops.
In my new lab at ELAC one of the cleaning guys takes naps at 3am on my new couch. I left a note asking him to pick up after himself and not move our stuff around (he was messy for a janitor) and he called campus safety... he got -himself- fired.
Good one! What are his kids going to do for food?
Earl,
I feel bad if he has kids.
But, I've worked shit, unsatisfying jobs a great deal of my life. When I'm feeling particularly angry at the menial tasks I must do to earn my living, I look at a picture of my family, my health insurance card, and I suck it up and do my job.
Because that's what responsible beings do Earl.
"I look at a picture of my family"
I feel really stupid. I realize at last why it is that people keep pictures of their families at work. Duh, hit me on the head.
Earl makes me wish I were still a republican.
Someone who would (repeatedly) rip off his employers like he did and deliberately risk his livelihood doesn't deserve to have children. His actions amount to child endangerment.
What ever happened to "taking pride in one's work"? The shocking lack of consequences makes me want to shout "Stop the World, I Want to Get OFF!" (Gee, good title for a play.....) I'm glad he got fired; for petessakes, sleeping, during the day, in PUBLIC, and expecting to be paid for it. Breaks my heart, and kudos for following up on it.
Earl is the sort of person who gives kindness a bad name. There is, in his view, nothing wrong with accepting wages to sleep rather than work, and to lie about doing it -- what's wrong is to expect this guy to do better.
sheesh.
Hahahahahahaaaaa!!! HILARIOUS!
Justice is served.
Although I have to say that I'm glad nobody can take pictures of me on days when I get sick at work and go home to take a nap.
Without knowing more about him, I can't judge. I would probably have awakened him early the first day to ask about his health.
Post a Comment