Thursday, January 31, 2008

Extra credit question.

The Angry Professor must walk 500 m from the coffee shop to reach her office. The coffee shop serves coffee at 140F, and the Angry Professor likes to drink her coffee when it reaches temperatures between 115F and 125F.

The outdoor temperature is 10F. Assuming the coffee is carried in an uninsulated, cylindrical container (height = 10 cm, radius = 4 cm), use Newton's Law of Cooling to determine how fast the Angry Professor must walk to reach her office in time to enjoy her coffee. Note that the heat transfer coefficient of coffee is approximately .6 W/Km2.

20 comments:

John said...

It was my understanding that there would be no math.

Anonymous said...

Um. Briskly?

Anonymous said...

The Angry Professor needs a travel mug.

Anonymous said...

The Angry Professor needs an assistant.

Ahistoricality said...

The Angry Professor needs a coffee pot.

Or at least a microwave.

Mister Troll said...

Hmm... fast enough that we may need to take into account the induced wind chill effect. Now that's tricky...

If I had more time over lunch, I'd try the heat equation. Surely we can calculate at what rate you can sip from the surface of the coffee.

Anonymous said...

0.6 W per square kilometre? I think you'd better patent that mug as soon as you can!

The_Myth said...

This is a trick question!

This question doesn't factor in the potential of Angry Professor getting hijacked by a colleague, student, or other ne'er-do-well on the way to her office.

Anonymous said...

A metal travel mug.

Aidan said...

The answer is Thermos.

texasinafrica said...

If the temperature is 10, you'll walk fast enough.

Anonymous said...

The angry professor needs a coffeepot.

CrankyProf said...

The Angry Professor needs a shot of Jack in that coffee to up the antifreeze properties.

William the Coroner said...

The Angry Prof needs a heating mantle on a ring stand heating water in a round-bottomed flask.

What, doesn't everyone have one?

Anonymous said...

I can't answer the question because I missed that lecture because my sister was having surgery and she needed me to bring her her slippers. Could you hand-deliver me the notes please? And will this be on the exam?

Anonymous said...

Raises hand... What's the specific heat of coffee?

Anonymous said...

dT = 15F = 8.3K
To-Ta = 130F = 72K
Coffee area = 112pi cm^2,
Coffee mass = 160pi g,

Assuming a specific heat of 4 J/gK...
dQ = (4 J/gK)(160pi g)(8.3 K)
dQ = 17 kJ
dt = dQ/hA(To-Ta)
dt = 17 kJ/((0.6 W/Km^2)(112pi cm^2) (72K)(1m^2/10000 cm^2))

dt = 3 hours?
Was h supposed to be 0.6 W/K cm^2?

(which makes the answer 1 sec?).

Bah. I'm not a heat guy.

Anonymous said...

What kind of coffee shop serves take-out coffee in a cup 4 inches tall and less than 2 inches across?
Do you bring your own espresso cup?

What's the insulation factor of the mitten?

Anonymous said...

Speak English!!!

We don't use centimeters in Muskogee...
We don't measure heat loss that way...
We always use those good old inches...
In Muskogee we keep the metrics at bay.
Well I'm proud to ne an okie from Muskogee...

Shiiiiiiit...!!! That might make a good song!

Not Important said...

I just saw something at the local gas station that has me intrigued. There's a sign for the Extra Energy Coffee in the Blue Pot. Here's an article on the web about that.

I wonder if AP's coffee habits would change with this coffee. She's certainly walk faster. Maybe to the point of phasing out of this reality.