Monday, March 24, 2008

In which we had a great time.

The Angry family is returned from "Palm Springs." It was a lovely weekend, much to my surprise. "Palm Springs" is definitely not a place where the beautiful people hang out: the food is terrible, and there was a noticeable disregard for the toilet facilities, especially by the younger set. (The Angry Kid peed in a toilet precisely once while in the park; her little friend not at all.) The Angry Kid is convinced that "Palm Springs" is the most wonderful place on Earth.

"Palm Springs" is one county to the west of Ellesiouville. Although it was only a 30-minute drive, I felt as though I had been transported to a different planet. This place is so not progressive that the local mega-churches (one located next to "Palm Springs" for our worshipping convenience) referred to Easter only as "Resurrection Sunday." The small local newspaper had one columnist: Jonah Goldberg. Most of the paper was devoted to stories about locals who proselytize a lot and their proselytizing. I now understand why Square State went red in 2000 and 2004, and that I really do live high in an ivory tower wearing rose-colored glasses.

We did not acquire any viruses, bacterial infections, or parasites (that we know of, yet). The water was so heavily chlorinated that the steam rising off the hot tubs burned the eyes. The Angry Kid stayed submerged in this chemical soup for so long that she now has a nasty case of dermatitis covering her entire body. She looks scalded -- very happy, but scalded.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like angry Kid got some cell walls ruptured.

As for amusment parks like "Palm Springs," they are just awfull. I would suggest taht you avoid Myrtle Beach South Carolina. It is a whole city devoted to crummy resorts.

Not Important said...

My Midwest State has a lot of those obnoxious Fire-'n'-Brimstone(TM) billboards along highways that promise eternal damnation for heathens.

Much of my family lives in Flatland, which is a part of Midwest State that looks as if a large something or other rolled across it then disappeared or melted several thousand years ago. That flat area seems to be a very red part of my state.

Anonymous said...

I shall keep my rose-colored glasses and build up this ivory tower unto death!