I'm writing an exam for my class tomorrow. I'm using my laptop, leaving the big household computer free for other stuff.
My laptop has ants under the keyboard. It isn't a whole colony, just a few misplaced little pavement ants. They crawl around, over my fingers and across the screen. I feel bad for them.
Sunday, March 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Computer bugs.
I hope I'm the first to say it.
Are they removing the accumulated food?
Err, there are never just a few ants. They don't go on walkabout or whatever. Where there's ants, there's a colony not far, no?
"I feel bad for them."
So, is your compassionate fellow-feeling for these creatures in fact ant-ipathy?
Insomnia makes for baaaaaaad puns.
Laptop keyboards should just be called "crumb trays" and should have a small flap to empty them just like toasters do. Perhaps the ants will help remove some of the crumbs from the nearly impossible to clean, poorly designed keyboard.
-love my laptop, HATE my keyboard
As long as they're not muttering little criticisms, I imagine they're tolerable. Nothing more irritating than ironic commentary when you're trying to work on something academic.
I think the colony is in the pot of a large plant in the living room that I brought inside for the winter. There are no crumbs under the keyboard, however we did have an unfortunate incident with some fruit juice a few weeks back.
It must be a very small colony. They haven't made any outrageous demands on us, and I only see a few at a time.
Have you named any of them Archy?
fyi - for those of us who research in the tropics - we've learned, ants eat the wires that connect your keyboard to the laptop. First it is the letter "Z" and you think - that's weird, whatever, but slowly, slowly you lose the ability to type anything on your keyboard as the ants gnaw at the wires (or whatever it is that connects the keys to the laptop)...yum, yum.
Post a Comment