Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Square State students pull together after the devastation of Hurricane Ike.

Like many other states, there is more than one LSU in Square State. One of the other LSUs, call it OLSU, is on the semester system, so they started classes a few weeks ago. OLSU had to shut down for a day because of storm damage and power outages, but they reopened today.

The OLSU students staged a protest. There was no reason why they couldn't go back to class, they just didn't want to. They aren't sandbagging for devastated areas or helping board up broken-out windows in the university area. Food Services is out of pizza, though. And their dorm rooms are dark. Apparently, it's better to sit in a dorm room with no electricity than it is to go to class.

6 comments:

Cayden said...

How terrible. I wonder what those students think that their mummys and daddys are paying for. Not to sit on their pampered butts wasting time. The more I read about campus life at present the more it starts to resemble high school rather than the College Life I remember.

So sad.

The_Myth said...

Yet another instance of wasted rebellion.

Anonymous said...

I'm at that OLSU and you are right; they are pampered beyond belief. It has been made abundantly clear that my tenure rides on maintaining that level of pampering in and out of my classes.
When I first heard about it, I thought..."oh, protest; my otherwise ill-informed, indistinguishable, white-bread students might actually be interesting people." I was disappointed, as usual.
Meanwhile, a zillion other things have occurred at this school that they'd have a very good reason to protest.

Anonymous said...

I just read some of the "Protesters" comments in the news. They're not just a bunch of spoiled brats - they're spoiled brats who are not even smart enough to come up with a decent excuse for the protest when the reporters come around.

Stay in school, kids... stay in school.

Not Important said...

Youth is wasted on the dumb.

Cliff Evans said...

I, too, am at OLSU, and I am silently thankful that none of the students with whom I have regular contact either participated in that display of rank idiocy or at least had the good sense not to say anything about it.