Monday, November 19, 2007

I know I said I wouldn't be blogging, but I'm stuck in an airport with nothing else to do.

This just in from LSU's provost:
[State's] governor has said he wants the state's colleges to boost their enrollments over the next 10 years. Recent legislative actions and the creation of a new statewide higher education system are intended to help reach that goal.
How about spending more money to insure that [State's] high school students are prepared for university work, increase the budget for scholarships, and let the enrollments take care of themselves?

8 comments:

Christina said...

good luck with that one....high school students ar enot to be worked hard, they have too many activities and computer im to do that to actually work at something. If it is too hard they will go to mom and dad to make it all better....

Bardiac said...

Can you say "unfunded mandate"? I thought you could!

Miss Kitty said...

Amen, sister, AMEN!

Natalie said...

Silly professor, that would make too much sense and might actually have some sort of effect. Politicians are much more interested in blowhard posturing.

Mr. B. said...

Hmmm...

From your neighbor at the other end of the Mississippi:

We have the same sort of crapspeak up here. There is a decline in the population of students currently attending college throughout the US, although I don't know the specifics in SquareState. This is obviously freaking out the administrators at BigU and a lot of other places.

Of course the high schools and probably even the elementary schools are where the problem should be fixed. But there is no glory in this. Our universities have their sights set on becoming one of the "great research universities in the world [sic]."

How to fix this?

I HATE vouchers. But I am starting to feel that this is the only way left to fix the problem. Complicated situation. No room in comments to explore this topic in a reasonable fashion, unfortunately.

Hang in there. Keep provoking.

Bonzo

Anonymous said...

One problem I see with vouchers is that some of my very worst students are from the private schools. That is where they learn that they are "visual learners" and so cannot understand what is said in class, or that they have ADHD and therefore should get extra test time and easier questions. And all of them are shocked not to get A's. Most of all, they do not understand that there is a correlation between knowing material and testing well ... they think these are two separate activities.

Anonymous said...

In private schools they also learn to cite the Conservapedia as an intellectual authority. It does not believe in scientific method & promotes popular (perhaps 'common sense') views of science as truth.

Vitriolic Virchow said...

I went to a small private school. The parents cared about education, they cared enough to pay for it, the school didn't have to keep the nudniks around. Easy-peasy.