Wednesday, November 28, 2007

It couldn't possibly be the last week of classes.

This is the time of the year when my students begin sending desperate emails at 2 am, meeting me at my office at 7:30 am, telling me sad stories and asking for special favors. This is the time of the year when I get to share these emails and stories with you, dear readers.

But not this quarter. This quarter I have a great class. It is large, as per usual, but filled with older ("nontraditional") students, honors students, ROTC students, and so forth. The final grade distribution looks to be massively asymmetric: negatively skewed. I have a discussion board where students can leave anonymous suggestions on how to improve the class; not one such message has been posted. Few students have come to office hours; the few visits I've had were for advice on how to apply class material in honors projects and other academic pursuits.

If every class were like this, I wouldn't be buying those powerball tickets.

5 comments:

EE said...

I love this blog! I've placed you on my blog roll.

Anonymous said...

When I start to feel like this, I check to make sure none of my students have spiked my coffee with hallucinogens. As a doctoral graduate from LSU I rarely had the honor of teaching good students there, so you're lucky, savor it.

I gave a talk to the honors students at my elite liberal arts college. They were the rudest kids I've taught in years. Sometimes I long for the simpler Square State Hat-On-Backwards (HOBs) crowd.
Then I realize that someone has spiked my Dunkin' Donuts w/ some anticholinergic when my fountain pen tries to tell me to shave my cat.

Miss Kitty said...

Hooray! I live for classes/students like those. Glad to know you got a good bunch for once. :-)

Anonymous said...

I posted three posts in a row today about making grades in my bad classes and then I went to my good class. Discussion actually yielded a Research Insight. As in, I see how to fix my article mss., which is finished according to me, but which I know does not bow in enough directions to be Fully Publishable, and now I see how to make those bows without obfuscating my point.

This is amazing. Class almost *never* yields me Research Insights. I almost feel like one of those professors who list discussions in their classes in the acknowledgments sections of their books.

Christina said...

Is this what makes teaching all worth it sometimes? I am happy to hear that you have such an awesome class.