It depends on the age and maturity of the individual, I suppose. When I was eight, my father lined us up and issued us our pocketknives with orders to keep them sharp and carry them always, in case we needed them, and he would check them occasionally for sharpness (but we were taught how to use them).
I also remember that "ritual" of getting a pocketknife from my father. Of course with clear instructions of how to use it and strong wording what not to do with it.
Since then I carried one for all my life. Until the post-9/11 flight restrictions came into place. And everyone with a toothpick became a terror suspect.
I am a tenured faculty member at a large state university. My teaching efforts primarily consist of delivering statistics lectures to social science majors. These experiences have colored my perspective somewhat.
This blog is 100% FERPA compliant. It is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. The Angry Professor is the creation of Mr. Norrell, who lives in Guam with four rhesus monkeys and a gecko. He has never taught at a university.
9 comments:
Snippets of a conversation from my youth, shouted from different floors of the house:
"Mom! I can't get the wood to catch fire. What else could I try?"
"I just saw something about this on TV. Try using your pajamas! When you're through up there, come make me another drink."
LOL! So for what did AK want the box cutters? Do we really want to know? :-P
Good thing she didn't say it at the airport.
-ab
Why, to cut a box, of course!
Have you alerted Homeland Security?
Um....
Angry Kid isn't planning on taking a cross-country flight soon, is she?
AP, on an unrelated note, your little C- graphic is missing on the URL line of my browser.
It depends on the age and maturity of the individual, I suppose. When I was eight, my father lined us up and issued us our pocketknives with orders to keep them sharp and carry them always, in case we needed them, and he would check them occasionally for sharpness (but we were taught how to use them).
I also remember that "ritual" of getting a pocketknife from my father. Of course with clear instructions of how to use it and strong wording what not to do with it.
Since then I carried one for all my life. Until the post-9/11 flight restrictions came into place. And everyone with a toothpick became a terror suspect.
Post a Comment