Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Where should I begin?

Dear Angry Professor,
I missed class last week because I was in court. I would like to make an appointment with you to go over the material I missed. I am free right before class today, tomorrow from 5:30-7:30 in the evening, and any time over the weekend. Let me know what time would be best for you.
Sincerely,
Willis Fly

14 comments:

Cayden said...

Wow, there's a kid with a full schedule. When I was in college and missed class I usually asked a friend in the class if I could borrow their notes. If I couldn't get access to good notes I might make a try at seeing the professor during HER office hours, not my own.

I'm just sayin'

Anonymous said...

Lot of Willis' over here, too. Usually it is:

Dear Prof, I need your signature for my government grant / graduation forms / whatever but I have to work during your office hours. I'll just pop the forms under your door (or all 5 MB of them scanned in are in the attachment), can you please print them out, sign them, and fax them on?

I usually answer that I am not their secretary, and if they miss class, they are adults and must deal with the consequences.

Or you could sell time at $100 / hour, if such a thing is legal :)

Unknown said...

Dear Willis,

Unfortunately, I am busy during all the times you suggest, but as luck would have it, I am available during the office hours listed in your syllabus. As I will not be able to fully reteach the material you missed, please read the assignment & work through all examples in the text before you come, and I will be glad to answer your questions.

Sincerely,
Angry Prof.

BTW, Angry Prof, I LOL'd yesterday about your telling the calculus student thanks for turning in the TA who was grading too easy. :-D

mathgrrl said...

Dear Angry Professor - I have enjoyed your blog for some time and especially enjoy the emails from students. In your honor I have started a blog where faculty members can send in such student emails for anonymous posting, for readers to comment on and post satisfying replys.

www.pedagoog.blogspot.com

revintraining said...

When I was in college, I had to go to court for something. I knew about it ahead of time so I told my professors that I was going to miss the class, and then I talked to my friends who were in the class afterwards.

It's not that hard to be a responsible student.

Miss Kitty said...

Dear Willis:

Borrow some notes, you lazy so-and-so.

Yours,
AP

Man, I *hate* when students do this kind of shit.

Anonymous said...

One of my students in a graduate course informed me 2 weeks ahead of time that she would be at a med school interview during one of the classes (a day on which an assignment was due to be uploaded on the web). I thanked her for letting me know and wished her luck. She then turned her proposal in late and emailed after the fact that she hoped I would give her special consideration for being late, since she had limited internet access on the day the proposal was due. Clearly it never occurred to her to turn in the proposal the day before (they have been working on this assignment all semester). Needless to say, the answer was that she was lucky to only have 5 pts deducted since I made the deadline extremely clear with several email reminders! Despite these reminders, another student in the class simply "forgot" when the deadline was. Besides posting the deadline on the syllabus, mentioning it in class, sending email reminders, how can I possibly make the concept of deadlines more clear??!!!!

Miss Kitty said...

I don't think you CAN, Anonymous. Sounds to me like you went above and beyond a professor's duties. I've started not accepting papers late; it really hurts students' grades and feelings, but here'd what I have on my syllabus: NO LATE PAPERS, NO MAKE-UP WORK: I simply do not accept late papers. Please adjust your study schedule and planning appropriately. It pisses off these kids who are used to sooo many mulligans, but it gets their attention.

CrankyProf said...

Dear Mr/Miss Fly:

Office hours are as stated.

Tutors for the material are available through Student Services, at $/hr.

Smoochie-boos, AP

In court? In court for WHAT?!?

Anonymous said...

When I was a full-time student and working 30-40 hours a week and my husband was working full-time and doing his degree at night, he often had to travel out of town and miss class. It became so frequent that I would go and take notes as a substitute student. The notes may not have been perfect, since I was in a completely different field. Even though the classes smallish I was only asked once why I was there. Despite the responsibilities listed above we were both in our early twenties, not much older or probably the same age as Willis Fly. There are plenty of ways of helping yourself, but I also get many notes like the one from Willis.

Anonymous said...

you should check out what not to write

Psycgirl said...

Dear Willis,
Thank you so much for sending me your availability. I appreciate that you are so dedicated as to be available on weekends and in the evening. However, unfortunately, my S&M class takes up most of my weekend, and I am too drunk by 5pm to meet with students.
Love,
Psyc Girl.

Sigh. If only.

Anonymous said...

I vote for Psyc Girl's reply, though I doubt the doofus would fully appreciate the fine sarcasm. For second place, I go with Miss Kitty. But "a" is the most reasoned and mature response. I am flabbergasted that a student would write this, what happened to borrowing a classmates notes?

Anonymous said...

I've gotten that email. I hate that email. The first day of class this quarter, I told the students that they are responsible for all material covered in lecture and quiz section (whether or not they are there) and that I will not go over missed material with anyone. Unfortunately, some people missed that day.