One of my precious snowflakes will miss today's quiz for, one hopes, legitimate reasons. However, he has asked to meet with me to discuss the material that the quiz covers before he makes it up.
I say no, but that I will be happy to discuss course material with him after he takes the quiz. What say you?
Thursday, October 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
After the quiz is good. Otherwise he gets an edge over the other students.
If there's a chance he may be able to discuss the quiz with anyone before he reaches your office, and if you aren't offering the same discussion opportunities to other students, then I'd say that after the quiz is better.
Disclaimer: It's been a dozen years since I've been in an academic setting.
Quiz first, discussion later. Snowflakes have a way of collecting stuff before you see them.
As snowflakes, do they turn into drips when they come into class?
http://ignatz.brinkster.net/cstripsearch.html
Oh, search for "snowflake" and click on the last synopsis link.
Unless the snowflake also missed some of the pre-quiz classes for similarly probably legitimate reasons, then they should have scheduled the meeting with you before the quiz. If they had other legitimate absences, the snowflake may have a case.
Use the American method: "Shoot first and ask questions later."
*shrug* In response to a question like that, I usually just rattle off the list of section(s) of the text that the quiz will cover. It gives the student no real capability at cheating, and it allows me to honestly answer his/her question. A win-win!
Combine the two and save time - give snowflak an oral make-up quiz
I don't like depriving students of the opportunity to ask questions, whether it's before a test or not. But
a) all students should have the same opportunity to ask questions
b) I am not there to provide a "potted summary" of what they missed in lectures. If they themselves have done some work trying to understand the material and have a question to ask based on the catch-up work they've done, fair enough. If they haven't put the effort into receiving help, then no.
This works for exam questions too. No I won't provide sample answers to all the sample papers but you are very welcome to discuss your attempts and get feedback on how you did.
Post a Comment