Thursday, October 11, 2007

In which I join the insurgency.

Funny colleague reported yesterday on my instructor ratings at the Site-That-Must-Not-Be-Named. I have finally received a chili pepper.

I once described my appearance to someone who had never seen me before. I told him that I look like a homeless librarian. My hair is clipped up in a messy wad. I wear glasses, I have a really long nose, and my clothes came out of the dumpster behind Land's End. Tim Gunn would give me up as a bad job.

How, then, did this come to pass? My chili pepper comes from a friend (another professor) who trolls the Site-That-Must-Not-Be-Named giving out chili peppers to everyone he knows, because professors are hawt! I'm pissed that I didn't think of doing it myself. To rectify this oversight, this morning I created an account at the Site-That-Must-Not-Be-Named and I'm giving out awesome ratings and chili peppers to all my friends and colleagues.

Now, all that hair I have snarled into a ball? I haven't cut it since 2003. If I take the clip out it falls to my waist. All I need to make my life as a professor complete is a nomination to the Luxuriant Flowing Hair Club for Scientists. That should take the sting out of not being elected to the Academy.

13 comments:

Rudbeckia Hirta said...

I don't read that site (because the mean things that people say is often quite spiteful). However, I have it on good authority that the students approve of my shoes.

Chris S. said...

I would gladly nominate you, Angry Professor. I just need a picture of your hair! A pic like the one you took of your daughter, obscuring her face, would probably be fine.

The_Myth said...

hahahaha

this past Spring I taught the biggest bunch of lazy-ass losers imaginable...and the more spiteful among them skewered me on that site.

so, I crafted an equally nasty comment that demonstrated much more eloquently how stupid said students truly are.

My favorite portion of my prose: "I know how to right good." Pretty much encapsulated the sort of student I was attempting to instruct how to write.

I've come to the conclusion that good students know to avoid that site. It seems all everyone ever does is write vague, spiteful, ignorant comments....or sugary praises of adoration. Both make me equally sick.

Anonymous said...

Alas, the usual nominating etiquette for the LFHCfS precludes the sort of anonymity that you maintain here..

Anonymous said...

If I email you, will you give me a pepper, too?

Anonymous said...

Actually, many (if not most) members of the illustrious LFHCfS are self-nominated ... so you can have both your membership *and* your anonymity.

Aidan said...

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I am completely and totally in love with you. "Homeless librarian". Do I know you? Do we shop at the same garage sales? You make me laugh. So hard. Hurts a bit to breathe. Must think of something sad. (puppies in the rain...pie dropped in the dirt...mass transit shut downs...tangled lace-weight cashmere yarn...) There. All better now.

Miss Kitty said...

AP, that's priceless! Hahahahaaa! Ohh, but professors ARE hawt.

I haven't checked my ratings on Site That Must Not Be Named in years. Most of the comments are either from people who are BITTER about getting the grade they EARNED, or who simply didn't GET the material. And the "sugary adoration" also makes me sick. I prefer to simply see how students' papers improve (or don't) as the term progresses. That's better to me than any old student survey or joke of a website.

ZaPaper said...

Ha ha, I think that site is hilarious. My fiance got a chili pepper once, but greater than that, some student was saying nice things about him and wrote (in all innocence) "He even tries to be funny sometimes." That totally cracks me up!!

Thanks for dropping by, Angry Prof. My indignation was just overwhelming me and I just had to share it with someone. :)

Mr. B. said...

Hmmm...

Mr. B. fortunately does not teach enough any more to rate attention on the Site That Must Not Be Named. He is entering the Lear phase of his career.

Nevertheless the mention of student evaluations in any form always brings a smile. As a student once put it on an evaluation form: "Dr. Bonzo is too synical."

Ciao, B.

Natalie said...

Last term I served on a faculty search committee, which obviously entailed reading numerous CVs. These usually include a random selection of student evaluations, which I had never seen before, being a student myself. I was actually quite shocked. I've always tried to write at least a paragraph of real feedback, even if I don't have very much to say about the class. I'm not sure if my comments have ever actually been helpful, but I'm sure they were more helpful than some permutation of "he/she really knew the material", which was the most common comment. How shocking that someone with a PhD should - gasp! - know what they're talking about? And teach it to college students? Will wonders never cease.

John said...

That site is ridonkulous. Any instructor rating system that includes a category for "easyness" [sic] is pretty much worthless.

At last check, I have TWO chili peppers, though. That much I can put stock it, because, well, it's true.

Rainswolf said...

Funny. I filled that site out in graduate school. I always gave my professors a chili pepper because I felt bad not giving them one.

I'm with your friend-- professors are hot!